October 15, 2011

The Saga of the Assembly: When Will I Ever Learn...

One would think by the time you reach my age you would have learned certain things to do and not to do. Yesterday, I told Preacher's Wife that I was going to shop around for a filing cabinet for my office. So I rushed off to Office Depot to check their selection. I must admit they had a nice selection of standard preassembled metal filing cabinets in various colors. All I needed to do was pick the color and determine if I wanted one that locked or not. But no, my eyes had to see a nice beautiful black wooden one that matched my office decor. It looked so good there on the showroom floor and the price was right, so I said to the salesman, "I'll take it." I went to the cashier and paid for it. He returned shortly from the back of the store pushing a huge flat box. Immediately my memory of all my life experiences concerning assembling purchased items had not served me well. I knew better than to buy things that had to be assembled. But I loaded it up and brought it home...Thinking... Yes, thinking, I can do this. Well here I sit posting on this blog and the cabinet is in the garage only half finished after 3 hours of intense frustration. I will finish it sometime today, hopefully before college football begins. Just to think it could have been assembled in the store for $50.00. When will I ever learn?

No comments: